Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Adobe's Open Screen Project

Finally!

Adobe is making an effort to bring consistency to the "Flash Player" across PCs and Devices, including mobile devices and set-top-boxes (those cable TV thingies)

Sounds really good to me!

So, apparently now I do not have to worry too much about thinking how my application/content would be deployed on a mobile.

Many things come to light:

  • Apparently Adobe Flash Player was licensed to be used on devices. This now goes free. More devices adapt the Flash Player.
  • Bits of Flash Player were not opensource. This is now open source (see the Tamarin Project on Mozilla). More people are involved, community collaboration goodness.
  • The ability to publish in the .swf format was licensed. Again this is no longer so, Adobe makes it free... so you and me can create programs that output .swf files, no hassles.
  • Adobe now opens up more, publishes AMF protocol and The Flash Cast protocol. Looks like as of May 1, 2008, Adobe has lifted the restrictions on SWF and FLV/F4V specifications.
  • Adobe developers will write porting APIs (they call it "the device porting layer APIs for Adobe Flash Player" more wordy and probably more accurate) for developers to make their applications work on different devices.
Cool! I'd say.

Take a look at the following:
I still have a few apprehensions.
Although I do hear it in whispers, I so wish someone would come out loud and say:
AND YES Flash Player will have better support on the iPhone!!!
but, whispers are all I hear... and that is what I have to do with right now...
But good! I am hopeful! and excited!

:) :) :)

No comments: