Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Flash Player 10 - bad install for Firefox - Solution.

Flash Player 10 had been giving me a lot of grief when it came to working with Firefox.
I finally figured out a solution, am still unclear what the trouble was!
Wonder is my solution is correct - it seems to work for now tho.

Issue:
I was using Flash CS3 with player 9 installed. The ActiveX and .dll files worked well on IE and Firefox. Then I upgraded to Flash CS4 and Flash Player 10. Things worked well for IE, but did not work well for Firefox 3. I used the flash player uninstaller and still - nogo...

Solution:
It seems the following files:

  1. NPSWF32.dll
  2. NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe
were present in two locations:
  1. C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
  2. C:\WINDOWS\system32
and although the installer did update folder #1, it did not bother with the files in folder #2. Thus in my case folder #1 had flash player 10 files (which worked for IE) but folder #2 still had flash player 9 files (which did not work for firefox)...

So I manually copied the files from C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash to C:\WINDOWS\system32 (replacing those old flash player 9 files)

I restarted Firefox and things seem to be working fine now!

Still I wonder if I'll have to do this each time there is a new flash player release...

No comments: